IDT Messaging, LLC
Effective November 1, 2014
Information We Collect and How We Use It
We collect and use information about you in the following ways. Personal Information means information that we directly associate with a specific person, but does not include “de-identified,” “anonymous,” or “aggregate” information, which is not associated with a specific person. Our primary goals in collecting information from you are to provide and improve our Services, to administer your Account, and to provide better targeted advertising. As used in this policy, the terms “using” and “processing” information include using cookies or other similar technologies on a computer/phone, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to, scanning, collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally.
- When you register with us or when you choose to add information to a profile for a Service we will ask you for Personal Information. Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name, email address, home address, mobile phone number, date of birth and may include certain information, including login credentials, related to your social networks and other third party sites. We use your Personal Information mainly to provide the applicable Service and administer your Account and inquiries.
- When you communicate with us, we may collect Personal Information. We use this information to establish and maintain your Account, authenticate you, and contact you about products and services that we offer. When you contact us or we contact you, we may monitor or record that communication to help us train employees and provide high-quality customer service or for legal or regulatory purposes.
- We collect information about you when you use our Services. This information includes websites visited and application and feature usage, product and device-specific information, mobile and device numbers and/or information about your phone, system and application software. We use this information to facilitate, deliver and maintain our Services, customize data presented to you and to help you with service-related issues or questions. We may also use this information for other purposes such as: providing you with information about product or service enhancements, determining your eligibility for new products and services, and marketing to you based on your use of our products and services; managing and protecting our networks, services and users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; and subject to consent practices described in this policy, helping us improve our services, researching and developing new products, and offering promotions and other services. This type of information may be aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you for business and marketing uses by us or by third parties.
- When you use and browse our websites, we collect information about your device and your visit, including: your browsing, searching and buying activity; your IP address; web addresses of the sites you come from and go to next; and/or information about your connection, including your device’s browser, operating system, platform type and Internet connection speed. When you use and browse our applications, we collect the following information about you and your device: your mobile telephone or device number; device identification; and/or with your consent, certain data on your device including your contacts. We use this information for operational and performance measurement purposes including monitoring statistics such as how many people visit our websites, which pages people visit on our sites, how much time is spent on each page, or which browsers are used to visit our sites. We also may provide statistical “ratings” information (not Personal Information) to our website partners about how our members, collectively, use our Services and websites. Our websites may contain certain web technologies such as “cookies” or “web beacons” that tell us how and when pages in our site are visited, and by how many people. These technologies do not collect personally identifiable information and we do not combine information collected through these technologies with other personally identifiable information. We may also use information collected from cookies or other similar technologies to improve our websites, make recommendations, and complete transactions you request. We do not honor any Web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that provide you the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services. This data is used by IDT and its vendors to deliver customized content and advertising to customers whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area. This content may be delivered on our websites, on non-IDT websites, on our mobile apps, by our representatives, via email, via SMS, via push notifications or via other IDT services. In addition, responding to or interacting with a particular advertisement, may result in you later receiving a targeted advertisement on our websites or on other sites as a result of an ad server or ad network concluding that you fit within a particular audience we or an advertiser is trying to reach. We use this information in order to, among other things, ensure that you see the correct product information, manage the frequency with which you see an advertisement, tailor advertisements to better match your interests, and to understand the effectiveness of our advertising.
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide the applicable Service and administer your Account and inquiries. We may also use your Personal Information to provide more and better targeted advertising.
- We also collect the other information that you provide as part of registration and the administration and personalization of your Account (e.g., without limitation, zip code, location information and individual preferences) (“Non-Identifying Information“).
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example, combining your zip code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. But the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from others who use the Services to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality and value of the applicable Service and to analyze and understand how our Services are used. We may also use the combined information without aggregating it to serve you specifically, for instance to deliver a product to you according to your preferences or restrictions.
- While IDT may offer you the ability to determine how much information you wish to share through the Services you use through your “Account Settings,” any Personal Information or other content that you voluntarily disclose online (for example, on your public profile in Services that offer a public profile) becomes publicly available and could be collected and used by others. When using IDT messaging products, your name and phone number are displayed to other users when you send direct messages, and/or if you are included in a conversation with that user.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with IDT marketing or promotional materials, those “Alerts” or “Notifications” you elect to receive and other information that may be of interest to you (such as, when a friend joins the same Service). If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions for the applicable Service (or you may send us an email at email@example.com with your unsubscribe request).
Information Collection Relating To Use of Services
The Service you use may use one or more technologies to collect information relating to your use of the Service. We collect such information to enable certain features of the Service, to better understand how you interact with the Service, to improve our Services and to improve our targeted advertising.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to IDT. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your Account ID, login password, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website.
How We Share Information
We share your information in the following ways.
Information Shared Within the IDT Telecom Family of Companies. IDT shares customer information within the IDT Telecom, Inc. family of companies (“IDT Family of Companies”) for operational purposes, our own marketing purposes and for general administration purposes. Sharing this information allows us to provide you with the latest information about the IDT Family of Companies’ products and services and to offer you our latest promotions.
Registered Users. When you register through a Service you may be requested to submit Personal Information to create a profile page. You can choose what other Personal Information you provide as part of your profile.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may share aggregated information that includes Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and log data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and to deliver targeted advertising about other products and services.
Vendors. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services (including the provision of advertising), to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform miscellaneous services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of service features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Services are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose. We may also provide Personal Information to our business partners or other trusted entities for the purpose of providing you with information on goods or services we believe will be of interest to you. You can, at any time, opt out of receiving such communications by following the unsubscribe instructions for the applicable Service (or you may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your unsubscribe request).
Compliance with Law. IDT cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of IDT or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Business Transfers. IDT may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
How to Limit the Sharing and Use of Your Information
You have choices about how IDT shares and uses your personal information.
Changing or Deleting Your Information. All registered Users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their registration profile by accessing their applicable Account Settings (Profile) page. If you would like us to delete your record in our system, please contact us and we will attempt to accommodate your request if we do not have any legal obligation to retain the record. See below for privacy contact information.
Opting Out of Email and Text Marketing Messages. Marketing emails you receive from IDT include an unsubscribe instruction usually found at the bottom of the email that you may use to opt out of receiving future marketing-related emails. Text and SMS message solicitations from IDT also contain an opt-out feature that you can use to prevent future marketing text and SMS messages from us. Your ability to manage some Services could be limited if you withdraw your consent to receive text and SMS messages. IDT does not recommend using those Services without authorization to receive such messages.
Information Used for Online Advertising. You have choices about whether certain information is collected on our websites. You can limit the collection of certain website information by deleting or disabling cookies. Most computers’ Internet browsers enable you to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please note that disabling cookies may prevent you from using specific features on our sites and other websites, such as ordering products or services and maintaining an online account.
IDT is very concerned with safeguarding your information. We employ administrative, physical and electronic measures designed to protect your information from unauthorized access. We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored “personal data” (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Links to Other Sites
Our Services may contain links to, and may allow you to visit, other websites (“Third Party Sites”). If you choose to visit any of these Third Party Sites by clicking on another third party link or navigating to a Third Party Site, you will be directed to that third party’s website. The fact that we link to a website or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer/phone, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
Information Sharing: Social Networking
Some Services may allow you to participate in blog discussions, message boards, chat rooms, and other forms of social networking and to post reviews. Please be aware that these forums are accessible to others. We urge you to not submit any personally identifiable information to these forums because any information you post can be read, collected, shared, or otherwise used by anyone who accesses the forum. IDT is not responsible for the information you choose to submit in these forums. If you post content to information sharing forums, you are doing so by choice and you are providing consent to the disclosure of this information.
Working Together to Help Keep Children Safe
The Services are not directed to persons under 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files. We encourage parents to be involved in the online activities of their children to ensure that no information is collected from a child without parental permission. The IDT network may not be used by customers in any manner for the storage, transmission or dissemination of images containing child pornography or any other illegal or inappropriate activity involving children and we will report any instances of such activity of which we become aware to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798 entitles California customers to request information concerning whether a business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. As stated in this Policy, IDT will not sell or share your personal information outside the IDT Family of Companies for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.